The Student Advocate Office is part of the Student Services Department.
A Voice for Students
Vanier College has procedures in the event that a student may have a grievance. The Student Advocate is the person who helps students figure out their way around the bureaucracy and mysteries of college life. If any student experiences a problem with faculty or staff members that has not been resolved, he or she is encouraged to contact the Student Advocate for assistance in resolving the issue. The student advocate is here to help students access and find solutions to their concerns.
The Student Advocate can:
- Listen to questions, concerns or complaints
- Advise the student of his or her options
- Advise students on how to resolve problems informally
- Assist students in understanding their rights and responsibilities
- Can inform you about college regulations and procedures that affect you
- Can explain how to use mechanisms such as the Academic Complaints Committee or Grades Review
- Can advise you on the appropriate course of action for personal or academic difficulties
The Student Advocate can’t force you or others to cooperate by implementing the recommendations, but relies on the cooperation and the respect of the Vanier Community to ensure that students receive fair and equitable treatment.