Regular Data Reports
PSI provides program dashboards to programs every spring and course success reports to disciplines every autumn.
- Program dashboards support ongoing program improvement. Dashboards assemble data on Vanier programs from a variety of external and internal databases and communicate it in a series of charts. A comparison to the public network is provided wherever possible. PSI sends the dashboards to program coordinators, who are tasked with sharing the information with teachers. Program dashboards provide a basic level of information and may raise questions that prompt more detailed inquiries.
- Course success reports help departments and disciplines to ensure equity for students. They contain the success rate (percent passed) and group average by section and course, as well as the average MGS of each section. PSI sends course success reports to department/discipline coordinators, who are responsible for sharing the information with teachers.
Professionals in the PSI office are available to support programs and departments with the use and interpretation of the dashboards and course success reports. The formats for both program dashboards and course success reports are under development, so please send any feedback to Jane Hudson, Research Analyst in the PSI Office.
Special Requests for Data
Teams or individuals undertaking program development or pedagogical research may request quantitative data by contacting Jane Hudson.
- Data provided for program development must be used for program improvement purposes only—it cannot form the foundation of conference presentations or publications. It must also be kept confidential.
- Data requests for research purposes must be accompanied by approval by the Research Ethics Review board. Researchers still at the proposal phase of their projects are invited to meet with the Research Analyst to discuss the different types of data available and how to phrase their data needs in their Research Ethics Review submission.
- Data can also be provided for evidence-based pedagogical initiatives or student success projects. Krista Riley is available to discuss whether going the Research Ethics Review would be beneficial for any given initiative or project.
Databases Accessible through PSI
- Clara is our internal database. It contains a high level of detail, including information by discipline and department but does not allow comparisons to other colleges. Because of the structure of the database, PSI may need to forward complex requests for Clara data to IT services.
- PSEP is a Service Régional d’admission du Montréal métropolitain (SRAM) database updated twice a year. It can be used to look for long-term trends in key student success indicators, by program, and to make comparisons to other colleges.
- DEFI is a SRAM database updated twice a year. It can be used to look at individual program cohorts, or subgroups of cohorts, in detail.
- Résultats par programme – Épreuve d’anglais is a file produced by the Ministère de l’Éducation, du Loisir et du Sport (MEES). It is used to compare Vanier program outcomes on the English Exit Exam to the outcomes of other Anglo colleges.
- Cheminement universitaire des personnes diplômées des collèges is a file produced by MEES. It is used to track the paths taken by graduates of Vanier programs through Quebec universities
- Statistiques d’admission sur les candidats collégiens du Québec is a database maintained by the Bureau de coopération interuniversitaire (BCI). It is used to track where Vanier students go on to study and their admission rates.
- La Relance au collégial en formation technique – Enquêtes sur la situation d’emploi de personnes diplômées is a survey published by the Ministère de l’Éducation, de l’Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche (MEESR). It is used to get a sense of the employment situation of graduates from technical and career programs.