A MASTERS-LEVEL PROGRAM
Participants may choose between two graduate level options: a thirty-credit program leading to a D.E. or a forty-five-credit program leading to an M.Ed. The successful completion of the D.E. courses is a prerequisite to proceeding to the M.Ed. See below for the program structure. The D.E. may be completed in a minimum of three or three and a half years; the M.Ed. in a minimum of four or four and a half years.
AN INTEGRATED PROGRAM
The program is not a series of disconnected courses but rather an integrated program. The first four courses are sequenced (College Teaching: Issues and Challenges, Psychology of Learning for the College Classroom, Instructional Strategies for the College Classroom and Assessment as Learning) and each is a prerequisite to the one following it.
Once the first four courses have been completed in sequence, the progression of courses is more flexible. Refer to the Course Descriptions on pages 2-6 for details of the courses and prerequisites.
The goal of the research component in this graduate program is to prepare participants to design and implement research projects that increase their understanding of how classroom processes impact on student learning. It consists of four courses that are undertaken in sequence.
MTP Program Structure
Diploma in College Teaching (30 credits)
- College Teaching: Issues and Challenges (PED-873) 3 credits
- Psychology of Learning for the College Classroom (PED-893) 3 credits
- Instructional Strategies for the College Classroom (PED-872) 3 credits
- Assessment as Learning (PED-892) 3 credits
- Planning and Preparing Your Teaching Portfolio (DVP-800) 1 credit
- Developmental Psychology: The Emerging Adult (PED-882) 2 credits
- Dynamics and Diversity in the College Classroom (PED-874) 2 credits
- Integrating Technology into the College Classroom (TIC-804) 3 credits
- Constructing Knowledge in Your Discipline (DID-855) 3 credits
- Philosophy of Education (PED-883) 3 credits
- Constructing Knowledge Across the Disciplines (DID-869) 3 credits
- Presenting Your Teaching Portfolio: An Integrative Activity (DVP-801) 1 credit
Master of Education in College Teaching (an additional 15 credits)
- Understanding the Research Cycle (MEC-800) 3 credits
- Exploring Research Strategies (MEC-801) 3 credits
- Designing a Research Project Proposal (MEC-802) 2 credits
- Critiquing a Research Project Proposal (MEC-803) 1 credit
- Conducting a Research Project (MEC-804) 6 credits
M.Ed. Total 45 credits