MNA For Laurier-Dorion
Gerry Sklavounos graduated from Vanier College in 1994 and went on to get a Bachelor’s degree in civil law (B.C.L.) and common law (LL.B.) at McGill University in 1998. He became a member of the Barreau du Québec in 1999. He was an articling student in criminal prosecutions for the Department of Justice Canada in 1999 and was Defence counsel for the Community Legal Centre of Montréal from 2000-2004. Very active in the Greek community, Gerry has been an adviser to the Hellenic Congress of Quebec since 2003, was host of a televised legal clinic, CH Global Greek program from 2005-2007 and was Vice-President of public relations for the Hellenic Canadian Congress from 2006-2007.
He was first elected as Member for Laurier-Dorion in the general election held on March 26, 2007 and was re-elected in the general election held on December 8, 2008. Gerry has also been picked as one of North America’s top 40 Greek Leaders under 40.
Below is a list of just some of the duties and functions he has filled while in public office.
- Parliamentary assistant to the Minister of Sustainable Development, Environment and Parks, April 25, 2007 to November 5, 2008
- Member, Committee on Social Affairs, May 23, 2007 to November 5, 2008
- Member, Committee on Transportation and the Environment, May 23, 2007 to November 5, 2008
- Vice-chair of the Committee on Labour and the Economy, May 25, 2007 to November 5, 2008
- Temporary Committee Chair since January 14, 2009
- Member, Committee on Institutions since January 14, 2009
- Member, Committee on Social Affairs since January 14, 2009
- Parliamentary assistant to the Minister of Health and Social Services since January 15, 2009