VANIER STUDENTS VOTE IN FAVOUR OF HOLDING A ONE DAY BOYCOTT OF CLASSES
All Regular Day Division DEC Classes Cancelled On Thursday April 2nd 2015
A majority of Vanier students have voted in favour of holding a one day boycott of classes to protest against the provincial government’s austerity measures.
The Vanier College Students Association organized a referendum that took place on March 31st and April 1st in Jake’s Mall.
The results of the vote were: 64.1% in favour of a boycott of classes and 31.8% against. A total of 3.4 % of students abstained and 0.6 % of students spoiled their ballots. In total, 2462 students voted in the referendum.
Given the results of the referendum all regular Day Division DEC classes will be cancelled on Thursday April 2nd 2015. However all Continuing Education, including AEC classes and Personal and Professional Development activities will continue as scheduled.
An agreement has been reached between the VCSA and Vanier College in case classes are canceled to ensure a peaceful and respectful demonstration.
Details of the agreement are:
1. The picket will be symbolic and respectful.
2. All staff, students, teachers, deliveries and visitors will be able to access the college.
3. All Continuing Education, including AEC classes and Personal and Professional Development activities will continue as scheduled.
4. The College will maintain all regular activities and services with the exception of regular Day Division DEC classes.
5. FCTP student stages and internships will continue as scheduled.
6. All Animal Health Technology Classes will continue during the student boycott due to the nature of the unique one time only laboratories being held (Canine Blood Donor Clinics).
7. The College, including the Library, will remain open during its regular opening hours.
8. All sports activities and services are maintained.
9. Music practice rooms, CAMT studios and student computer labs will be accessible in accordance with usual reservation and operation procedures.
10. Staff and teacher members will be able to access their offices or rooms as usual.
Students requesting more information about the boycott can attend a General Assembly meeting held by the VCSA on Thursday April 2nd at 10 a.m. in the Vanier Sports Complex.
Director, Communications, Corporate Affairs
Directeur, communications, affaires corporatives