Overview of our Space & Services
The library is located in what used to be a chapel, lending it an unusual architectural design. The library provides a welcoming environment for all members of the Vanier community to conduct research, study, and receive assistance with their information needs. The library works in unison with the college in fostering encouragement in learning towards self-development. To meet those needs, the library offers:
- Information literacy instruction, on an individual and group basis. Students are shown how to access, retrieve, evaluate, and use information from the library collection and databases.
- Guidance to students and other members of the Vanier community with research and bibliographic needs; including individual help accessing information needed to meet research requirements through the use of the online public access catalogue (OPAC) and the different databases.
- Introductory tours so that students and faculty can become acquainted with the various services that are offered in the library.
- Help in resolving some common word processing problems or other minor computer issues.
- The acquisition of course related materials including, but not limited to books, films, CDs and a selection of databases that are designed to meet the changing needs of the curriculum. These materials are then classified by the library staff in order to make them accessible to be used or borrowed by students and faculty alike.
The library maintains a collection of over 83,000 books in a variety of disciplines to reflect the diversity of our curriculum. The collection is spread across all 3 floors of the library and can be accessed through our online public access catalogue OPAC. The reference collection is located on the 3rd floor and it features general and subject specific encyclopedias, handbooks, and dictionaries.
The library has an interesting collection of DVDS in support of the communications, social sciences and technology programs of the college. There is also a collection of CDs that complement the college music program. The DVD collection is behind the circulation counter and the CD collection is located on the 3rd floor.
The library has a large number of print subscriptions to journals, magazines, and newspapers. These are housed in the F wing 3rd floor. Through various databases, the library has access to thousands of full-text journals, magazines, and newspapers online. Many of these can be accessed outside the college through the library website by members of the Vanier community.
Computers & Printing
There are computer workstations where students can do research and work on assignments. There are also laptops available to check out and use anywhere in the library. All computers have Microsoft Office 2010. Three quick print stations and four printers/photocopiers/scanners are also available for printing needs. One is a color printer. The library is completely Wireless for laptop use.