The summer animator interacts directly with the teens (12 to 17 yrs. old) and young adults (18 to 30 yrs. old) in our special needs summer program. We aim to create a safe and stimulating space for our participants: a place where they feel they belong, help to improve their decision making skills as well as to create and offer opportunities for social skill development, as well as leadership. Outreach, event planning and collaboration with coworkers as well as local resources are an integral part of the position.
- Participate in the program planning and delivery of activities and workshops;
- Ensure teen and young adult’s safety throughout shifts;
- Facilitate discussions amongst teen and young adult participants;
- Supervise weekly outings;
- Organize and animate sports, cultural and social activities;
- Adhere to the YMCA’s Child Protection Policies and Procedures;
- Understand and integrate the value of philanthropy in both specific position and Association, and participate in the Annual Campaign and/or other fundraising events.
- Bilingualism, spoken
- Experience in program planning;
- Possess a strong sense of organization and problem solving abilities;
- Applicants must be full-time students returning to school in the Fall;
- Minimum 1 year of appropriate experience with youth between the ages of 12-17 and 18-30;
- Currently pursuing a diploma in related field: education, social work, leisure studies, special care counselling, etc;
- CPR and First Aid Certified (an asset);
- Have no criminal record in connection with employment.